FA open investigation into Southampton over spygate scandal
Briefly

FA open investigation into Southampton over spygate scandal
Southampton are under Football Association investigation following the spygate scandal. The FA is assessing whether charges should be brought after an EFL independent disciplinary commission expelled the club from the Championship play-offs and docked four points for next season. Southampton admitted spying on training sessions involving Middlesbrough, Oxford, and Ipswich. The incidents occurred after the appointment of Tonda Eckert as head coach in early December. Southampton’s appeal was dismissed, and Middlesbrough replaced them in the play-off final against Hull. The club’s chief executive called the sanctions manifestly disproportionate, while players and fans expressed disappointment. Middlesbrough said the sanction supports sporting integrity and conduct, and Eckert’s future is in doubt.
"Southampton are now under investigation by the Football Association in relation to the spygate scandal. The FA is looking at whether charges should be brought, following on from a decision by an EFL independent disciplinary commission to expel Saints from the Championship play-offs and dock four points for next season. An FA spokesperson said: "We will now investigate and won't comment further until we have assessed the evidence.""
"Southampton admitted to spying on a training session held by play-off semi-final opponents Middlesbrough earlier this month, as well as one held by Oxford in December and an Ipswich session in April. All three instances occurred following the appointment of Tonda Eckert as head coach in early December. The club's appeal against the sanction imposed by the commission was dismissed on Wednesday night, with Boro now replacing Saints in Saturday's play-off final against Hull."
"Kicking them out of the play-offs also denies them a shot at a Premier League place and with it an estimated £200million in additional revenue as a minimum. Saints' player of the year Leo Scienza described the punishment as "heartbreaking" and said the club's fans "definitely deserved better". "We gave everything for this dream," he posted on Instagram. "Day after day, sacrifice after sacrifice, always believing we could bring this club back to where it belongs.""
"Middlesbrough welcomed Southampton's expulsion, saying the sanction "sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct". Eckert's future as Southampton boss is now in major doubt, while reports suggest Southampton's players are considering legal action a"
Read at Irish Independent
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]