
"Veteran striker Azmoun was not named in the 30-man squad, which will be trimmed to 26 by June 1. Experienced forward Sardar Azmoun was a glaring omission as Iran named their preliminary World Cup squad before departing for a pre-tournament training camp. Azmoun, who was reportedly expelled from the national team for a perceived act of disloyalty to the government amid the US-Israel war on Iran, was not among the 30 players named in the squad on Saturday."
"The 31-year-old striker, who plays his club football in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for Dubai's Shabab Al-Ahli, upset the Iranian authorities in March by posting a picture on his Instagram feed of a meeting with Dubai's ruler, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, according to reports in Iranian media. A report on the Fars News Agency in March quoted an informed source within the national team as saying Azmoun had been expelled from the squad. The player later removed the picture but was still lambasted on state TV."
"Selecting 30 players for this final training camp ahead of the World Cup was the most difficult technical decision of my coaching career, Ghalenoei told the Iranian football federation website, adding he had selected players solely on technical criteria. Iran hope to play two friendlies in Antalya. They have already confir"
"The 30-member squad will travel to Turkiye on Monday for a training camp, friendlies and to complete visa applications before heading to the United States, head coach Amir Ghalenoei said. Team Melli will be returning to Antalya, where they trained and played friendlies in March. The squad will have to be trimmed to the World Cup maximum of 26 by June 1."
Iran named a preliminary 30-man World Cup squad that will be reduced to 26 by June 1. Veteran striker Sardar Azmoun was not included despite scoring 57 goals in 91 appearances and participating in Iran’s last two World Cup campaigns. Reports said Azmoun was expelled from the national team for perceived disloyalty to the government during the US-Israel war on Iran. Iranian media linked the expulsion to an Instagram post showing a meeting with Dubai ruler Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, which Azmoun later removed but was criticized on state TV. The squad will train in Turkiye, play friendlies, complete visa applications, and then travel to the United States, with Mehdi Taremi leading the forward line.
#iran-national-football-team #world-cup-squad-selection #sardar-azmoun #mehdi-taremi #international-friendlies
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]