Italy's leaders visit victims of Modena car-ramming, stabbing attacks
Briefly

Italy's leaders visit victims of Modena car-ramming, stabbing attacks
A 31-year-old man, Salim El Khoudri, drove at high speed through Modena’s city centre and hit more than a dozen people. He also stabbed a pedestrian before being stopped by passers-by. Eight injured people were taken to hospital in serious condition. Prosecutors stated the attack was indiscriminate, random, and deliberate. Two women, aged 55 and 69, had their legs amputated, and one remained in life-threatening condition. Italy’s interior minister said the investigation is ongoing and the incident appears related to psychiatric distress. Reports indicated the suspect had symptoms of schizoid disorders and had been treated at a mental health centre between 2022 and 2024 in the same province.
"At about 4:30pm local time (14:30 GMT) on Saturday, a 31-year-old man identified as Salim El Koudri drove at high speed through the city centre, hitting more than a dozen people. The attacker also stabbed a pedestrian before being stopped by a group of passers-by. Eight people were taken to hospital in serious condition, the ANSA state news agency reported. Two women aged 55 and 69 had their legs amputated, and one of them remains in a life-threatening condition, read a statement released on Sunday by the city prosecutor's office."
"The prosecutors added that the attack was carried out in an indiscriminate, random and deliberate manner. The Italian leaders did not release statements following their visits on Sunday to two hospitals where the injured are being treated. The previous day, Meloni called the attack extremely serious and thanked the residents who courageously intervened to stop the perpetrator, and to the police for their intervention."
"Speaking to journalists on Sunday, Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi said that while the investigation into the circumstances surrounding the attack is ongoing, the incident appears related to a situation of psychiatric distress. Nothing escaped us from the standpoint of counterterrorism prevention, he added. Italian broadcaster RaiNews reported that the suspect has shown symptoms of schizoid disorders and had been treated between 2022 and 2024 at a mental health centre in the same province where the incident occurred."
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]