Pentagon says U.S. will cut thousands of troops from Europe
Briefly

Pentagon says U.S. will cut thousands of troops from Europe
"The Pentagon announced late Tuesday that it was pausing the deployment of any additional troops to NATOally Poland as the Trump administration moves forward with its "America First" agenda and pulls thousands of forces from Europe. The pause is part of a reduction of U.S. forces in Europe from four brigade combat teams to three, units that each include as many as 4,000 soldiers, tanks and massive amounts of support gear."
"In a statement, the Pentagon called Poland "a model U.S. ally" and said that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had called Polish Deputy Prime Minister Kosiniak-Kamysz earlier in the day to assure him that the U.S. would retain a "strong military presence in Poland" despite the planned personnel reduction."
"The Defense Department "will determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies' own ability to contribute forces toward Europe's defense," the Pentagon statementsays."
"The troop reduction has deeply concerned NATO allies as Russia continues its war in Ukraine and threatens the alliance's eastern flank. At the outset of the war in 2022, the Biden administration sent thousands of additional troops to Eastern Europe in a bid to deter the Kremlin from acting on any territorial ambitions it may have had beyond Ukraine."
The Pentagon announced a pause on deploying additional U.S. troops to Poland as the Trump administration advances an “America First” agenda and withdraws thousands of forces from Europe. The pause is tied to reducing U.S. forces in Europe from four brigade combat teams to three, with each unit potentially including up to 4,000 soldiers, tanks, and extensive support equipment. The Pentagon described Poland as “a model U.S. ally” and said Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke with Poland’s deputy prime minister to assure a “strong military presence in Poland” despite the personnel reduction. The department said it will determine the final disposition of forces based on strategic and operational requirements and allies’ ability to contribute to Europe’s defense. NATO allies expressed deep concern as Russia’s war in Ukraine continues and threatens the alliance’s eastern flank.
Read at The Washington Post
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]