New spending deal preserves Head Start funding in the Bay Area, but staffers see trouble ahead
Briefly

California's Head Start providers are relieved by a recent Congressional spending deal preserving funding at last year's levels for six months. While teacher vacancies are declining and student numbers are rising, staff members express concern over future budget cuts and regulations. Executive director Melanee Cottrill notes that the uncertainty surrounding budget negotiations for the next fiscal year is a significant challenge for the programs. Additionally, approved funds may not cover rising living costs and other impending financial burdens, such as labor contracts and operational expenses.
It's just the nature of the beast, Melanee Cottrill, executive director of Head Start California, said in an interview. She said she's encouraged that operations seem to have stabilized, especially after prior spending freezes erroneously impacted some preschool providers.
The broad, overarching challenge is all the uncertainty, said Cottrill. Clarity will remain elusive until lawmakers actually start negotiating the next fiscal year's budget, including money that has historically been earmarked for 80,000 youth enrolled in California.
Another challenge is that the money that was approved March 14 won't help employers keep up with ongoing cost of living increases and other inflated expenses, in addition to potential roadblocks involving labor contracts, building leases, snack vendors and other upcoming bills.
Read at www.eastbaytimes.com
[
|
]