Muslim group demands answers on UC Berkeley's cooperation with federal antisemitism probe
Briefly

Muslim group demands answers on UC Berkeley's cooperation with federal antisemitism probe
"Concerned that the rights of students and faculty have been violated, a national Muslim civil liberties organization has requested UC Berkeley turn over any information it has on its cooperation with a Trump administration investigation into antisemitism on campus. A California Public Records Act request was filed by the Council on American-Islamic Relations' San Francisco Bay Area office on Nov. 21 in response to the university's sharing of 160 students, staff and faculty names as part of the federal probe."
"The U.S. Department of Education and Department of Justice have been investigating the University of California since early 2025 to determine whether the university system was discriminating against students, staff and faculty by permitting antisemitism on campuses, according to a U.S. Department of Justice press release. Universities across the nation have been targeted with similar investigations following large student protests demanding institutions cut academic and financial ties to Israel."
"The demonstrations, including student occupations of campus buildings and encampments, were prompted by the Israel-Hamas war, which has resulted in the deaths of nearly 70,000 Palestinians and 1,200 Israelis, according to the Associated Press. University spokesperson Janet Gilmore previously said the decision to comply with the federal investigation was made by the University of California's systemwide Office of the General Counsel "in compliance with its legal obligations to cooperate with the agency.""
CAIR's San Francisco Bay Area office filed a California Public Records Act request on Nov. 21 seeking any UC Berkeley records about the university's cooperation with a Trump administration investigation into antisemitism after the university shared 160 students, staff and faculty names. UC Berkeley Assistant Vice Chancellor Dan Mogulof declined to comment on the records request. Jeffrey Wang, CAIR's civil rights managing attorney, called the disclosure a grave breach of trust. The U.S. Department of Education and Department of Justice have been investigating the University of California since early 2025. University spokesperson Janet Gilmore said the decision to comply was made by the systemwide Office of the General Counsel in compliance with legal obligations. The university shared numerous documents with the Office of the General Counsel.
Read at The Mercury News
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]